THE HISTORY OF MARBLE HALL
JLFS Headquarters & Local Landmark
Marble Hall, the oldest building on Garrison Avenue, was built in 1859 by Ethelbert Britton Bright. Judging from the surviving newspaper ads, his mercantile store held the very wonders of the world, steadily supplied by steamboats docking at the foot of Garrison. The son of a missionary to the Osage tribe, Bright became fluent in their language. He came to Ft Smith in 1853 and set forth in business at a lightning pace. By 1857 he ran The Old Red Mill on Tenth Street, had married the niece of Sand Waite, and built a mansion on Sixth Street. Marble Hall was used as a hospital during the Civil War. By 1862, Bright had enlisted in the 51st Arkansas Militia Regiment. Bright returned from the war and launched back into business, but his obituary notes that he met with reverses and lived quietly until his death in 1890. Marble Hall has housed many businesses including a shooting gallery in 1900. Marble Hall was restored by Phil White in 1977.
Today, Marble Hall serves as Headquarters for the Junior League of Fort Smith.
While typically closed to the public except during Open House, Marble Hall is available as an event rental. Click HERE for more rental information.
Interested in renting history?
Download the latest PDF versions of our Rental Fees, Rental Agreement, and Facility Rules
Not able to join our ranks at this time but still wish to make a difference? Click here to help donate to support our community outreach programs!